August 14, 2010

oh happy day

My very first new sewing machine arrived this past February. It is a wonderful machine and I have gotten many hours of enjoyment out of it. It does sewing and embroidery, and when I bought it I thought I got the deal of the century. I found it at costco.com for only $600, while it was retailing on HSN for anywhere from $1200-$1500. Thus far, I have done all my piecing and quilting with this machine, but it does have it’s limitations due to a small throat size.

A few months ago, I happened to catch a “Singer Hour” on HSN where they were featuring the Quantum L-500. It was like angels from heaven had carried this machine to earth to give me all I ever wanted in a machine. It was $1200 and so I cried. After losing my job last October I have really had to change my shopping habits. A year ago, I would have bought it on the spot. Flash forward a year and I figured the closest I would get to this machine was watching the HSN video on YouTube.

Every week or so, I venture over to craigslist to see what kind of machines they have. Imagine my surprise to see a listing for the machine I had longed for, for so many months. It was fate! The asking price was $900… totally out of my price range. Even though the listing said the machine was brand new, never out of the box, I honed in on two little words in the listing… MUST SELL. So, I quickly responded asking if they would accept $500. Then I started having heart palpitations.

The seller responded very quickly with a counter-offer of $600, which is a stretch, but too good to pass up. It turns out, the seller was a cute girl who just graduated with a fashion degree and she received this machine as a “prize” for winning a competition at school. She had three other machines and needed some cash to help her get out of mom and dad’s house. A win-win for both of us, and it made Friday the 13th a great day for me. One I won’t soon forget.

Here she is fresh out of the box. No name for her… yet!

http://stefanie-and-richwilliams.smugmug.com/photos/969225766_QFjZk-M.jpg

1 comment:

  1. stunning young lady, I'm sure she'll be wonderful company, I'll bring my Pfaff over and they can have a play day

    ReplyDelete

comments make me happy!