October 19, 2007

Heavy Heart

Today, my heart is heavy and my mind is filled with worry. I've been feeling this way for several days now. It has been a very tough week. Filled with emotion, fear and many tears.

My Riley has cancer. This is the first time I have written those words. There is something profound about seeing it in print. I got the news on Monday and since then have been going through many scenarios in my mind.

Yesterday was the lowest of the lows so far. I completely fell apart on my way to work. I am not ready to say goodbye to him yet. I still need him so much and I want him to be happy and healthy again. I phoned the vet and she put me at ease, which I really needed.


He is undergoing surgery today. His doctor will be removing the growth from the left side of his face. She is optimistic that she will be able to get all of it so that no other treatment will be necessary. Oh how I hope that is the case.

Say a prayer today for Riley. He (and his momma) need all we can get.
UPDATE 3 p.m.
Riley has made it out of surgery and "is doing just fine". Will be heading out to pick him up and take him home in about an hour. Can't wait to see his sweet face!!
UPDATE 6 p.m.
We are home. I can't tell you what a sense of relief I feel to have him back here with me. He has had a tough day and is very groggy and somewhat disoriented from all the meds. Now he is resting in the cozy comfort of our bed... his favorite place to nap.

3 comments:

  1. My prayers are with you! good luck riley~ he looks like a real sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Sending you postitive thoughts your way. Totally cute dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Stefanie, I am sorry to hear of the cancer but glad surgery went well. I hope he feels better soon...good vibes coming your way! :)

    ReplyDelete

comments make me happy!