July 03, 2014

Simple Streamers Pattern Revision


So I recently downloaded this super-cute (FREE!!) pattern from Robert Kaufman Fabrics. I thought it would be a great way to showcase some large-scale prints and couldn't wait to try it out.

I will be giving this quilt away as a gift, so I pulled some fabrics from my stash and got started. Once I decided what fabrics I wanted where, I grabbed my rulers and rotary cutter, turned to the cutting instructions and that's when I realized there was a problem. I truly hate to complain about a free pattern, but I do feel that if you are going to publish something like this, it should be close to accurate. I miscut lots of precious fabric trying to work this out, and that doesn't make me happy.

If you plan to make this quilt yourself, please disregard the cutting instructions included in the pattern. I will send these revisions directly to RKF as well, so hopefully they will eventually revise the download. In the meantime, feel free to use these cutting instructions.

Fabric I (Neutral Solid)
- Cut two strips 8-1/2” x WOF.
- Subcut one strip into two rectangles 8-1/2” x 13” and two squares 8-1/2” x 8-1/2”.
- Subcut one strip into eight rectangles 5-1/2” x 8-1/2”.
- Cut four strips 5-1/2” x WOF
- Subcut two strips into five rectangles 5-1/2” x 13”.
- Subcut two strips into six squares 5-1/2” x 5-1/2”.
- Cut two strips 3-1/2” x WOF.
- Subcut into eight rectangles 3-1/2” x 9-1/2”.
- Cut two strips 5” x WOF.
- Subcut into eight rectangles 5” x 9-1/2”.
- Cut one square 13” x 13”.

Fabrics A and F
- Cut one strip 9-1/2” x WOF.
- Subcut one strip into four rectangles 5-1/2” x 9-1/2” and two squares 9-1/2” x 9-1/2”.
- Cut one rectangle 8-1/2” x 9-1/2”.
- Cut two squares 5” x 5”.

Fabrics B and E
- Cut one strip 9-1/2” x WOF.
- Subcut into two rectangles 9-1/2” x 19-1/2”.
- Cut one rectangle 8-1/2” x 9-1/2”.
- Cut two squares 5” x 5”.

Fabrics C, D, G and H
- Cut two strips 9-1/2” x WOF.
- Subcut into one strip into one rectangle 9-1/2” x 22-1/2” and one rectangle 5-1/2” x 9-1/2”.
- Subcut into one strip into one rectangle 9-1/2” x 22-1/2” and two squares 5” x 5”.

BTW - I think this would make an AWESOME baby quilt. Maybe I need to scale this down!!

2 comments:

comments make me happy!